Friday, March 26, 2010

Retirement

I received the most interesting article from a kindred spirit at school the other day. It was amazing food for fodder. The topic of the article was how the concept of retirement has only existed for about the last 100 years. It continued to mention that our society feels entitled to a retirement, and in the context of our entire history, that's not realistic. The conclusion discussed how we should do what we love and then it wouldn't feel like work...interesting.
So, I thought about it, and here's where I lie with this article: I totally agree with it. I know many who work for their retirement, but I'm not built that way. I could not go to work with that being my motivation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy; Steve and I do invest in our retirement, but it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm one of those crazy people who loves their job, and I could see myself doing it for as long as humanly possible. Teaching is what I do, how I feel God is using me. I don't want to put a time limit on how long I can or should do that because society has an expectation. My career/contribution may change as time goes on, but essentially, I think I'll be doing what I do for a long time to come, and I'm very thankful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers