Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Half the Sky

I began reading Half the Sky last night by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. I heard about this book on Oprah and was totally intrigued. Finally, I got around to getting a copy and immediately dug in. I must tell you that even though I only read the introduction and chapter one, I found myself literally crying. What is happening to women around the work is an atrocity. The awareness of it all leaves be dumbfounded, sad, and ready to do something.
The next unit I facilitate in my classroom is entitled, "Awareness 2 Action." It's these types of injustices that inspire me to reach to my students and incite them to use their power and energy to make a difference. My experience has shown me that kids can do amazing things and have a powerful voice. It will be interesting to see where they take their social activism projects.
Tomorrow, March 4th, I'm going to see documentary on Half the Sky. I hope some of you consider doing so as well.
Here's a link to the preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUq6HsWKETA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers