Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 1 of Summer Vacation

Those of you who aren't educators, I'm sure, wonder what the heck teachers do over the summer vacation. Before I get into that, I want to uncover some common misconceptions about educators...
I don't complain about my pay as a teacher. I appreciate what I have, and I don't think twice about it. Many people say, "Well, you have two months vacation." No, actually, I don't. I get paid for the ten months I work. I don't complain about my salary either. As a matter of fact, most teachers I know do one of two things: they either get a second job over the summer, or they are constantly planning and working on their education to stay on top of their game. That is time well spent in my opinion. I don't know of people with other professions who spend their time off reading about their profession to make them better. I'm sure some do but honestly, many don't.
Also, I am grateful for the time over the summer when I can be home and catch up on home stuff and be a mom, etc...Last night, I actually stayed up until midnight. That's huge for someone like me who craves to close her eyes around 8 pm. Tonight, I actually plan on cooking dinner as well.

So, today, I woke up got my kiddo ready for her little dance camp, drank a cup of coffee, and off we went. After taking Alex to camp, I went to Jazzercise. By the way, I am battling planter fisciatis in my feet, which is no fun. It hurts like double hockey sticks. My doctor's appointment is Friday. I raced home for a quick shower and picked Alex up before lunch. We dropped old clothes off at Goodwill and made did some returns at the local mall. In an effort to get Alex into reading, we visited the public library to sign up for the summer reading program and get some books. From there, we headed home, did some summer worksheets, read, and did some chores around the house. We are now getting ready for swim practice and gonna get some dinner in our bellies.
Dinner has posed a new challenge since I've decided to become a vegetarian a few weeks ago. I honestly don't miss meat, but I'm trying not to be too much of a pain in the butt w/ my own family. I don't expect them to go there unless they want to. Tonight, it's cheese tortellini since I haven't given up cheese, yet; I'm getting there.
I have a lot to do this summer besides keep my kiddo active since she's very social and needs STRUCTURE, or she'll drive me CRAZY. As we prepare to bring home our new baby from Ethiopia, and I will sure to be out of school, I want all my plans set. I am teaching something totally new next year, and it's important to me to have all my ducks in a row.
Well, that's day one in the life of a teacher on summer vacation. Hopefully, the mystique about teachers and their summers will be clear.
Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Day 2: Margaritas by the pool. Because you did too darn much on Day 1. ;O)

    ReplyDelete

Followers