Monday, June 7, 2010

Week 2: Day 1

My poor baby has the stomach flu. What the heck? It should be against the law of nature for kids to get sick on their summer vacation. She's vomited three times and has barely had a sip of anything. So stinky!
I finished Commencement, and I'm now finishing a YA novel entitled Just Like That. Commencement finished in an awkward way; not the ending that I hoped for. I wanted more resolution and more of a statement about the relationships women make. One of the characters, Bree, said something very important that went along the lines of: if you let your mother's vision of you rule who you are, then it will; it can't have that much weight, or you'll likely to not be who you are meant to be. Very true.
Today I sat on an interview committee for the temporary position we have in the English Department. We interviewed three candidates who have worked with us for the past year on temporary contracts, and now they're all competing for one. They are three candidates with unique gifts as educators, and it's really hard to imagine that we will lose two of them. This cut throat atmosphere is a strong reminder of how hard it was to get a teaching job when I got out of college... there just weren't jobs available for all of us young whipper snappers. That's what brought me to Orlando; a job. I couldn't imagine not teaching once I got started, and I wasn't gonna wait around for a few years in New York.
Anyway, when Steve gets home, I'm off to Jazzercise to take a break from Alex's stomach flu. I hope she gets better real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers