Thursday, October 27, 2011

tmi...lol.

As my crazy girl heads closer to her ninth birthday, it is weighing heavily on me what this year brought on for me when I was her age...puberty.  I come from a long line of women who develop early into womanhood; lucky us.  During my nine year old experience, my mother decided that it was a good idea to have "the talk."  You know exactly what I'm talking about too.  The birds and the bees, her monthly visitor, and the physical changes of womanhood.
To say that I am freaked out about doing this is an understatement.  I mean, what a freaking responsibility.  So, I've spent some time hashing out the memory of my mom sitting me down and taking out a book entitled Period.  What a trip!  There were drawings of little girls with sanitary napkins and tampons with awkward illustrated girls of all shapes, sizes, and colors.  Gotta love it.  So, I endured the discussion, but I was grateful for it, especially a year later when my visitor invaded.
I've been reading stuff on how to go about having this talk, and I'm still nervous as you know what.  One book suggested I have this tete a tete with a gift basket of women's products and sundry items.  My kid might stick them on her head and make a craft out of it.  I fear that she'll think it's something to bedazzle and a tampon as material for a mobile.  Who am I kidding?  I'm in a bind.
It is with this fear and trepidation that I ask for prayer as I prepare to have this conversation with my baby girl.  Yes, MY BABY GIRL.
I called my mom today and explained that it's probably time to do this thing.  She seemed as freaked out as I, and my husband was barely verbal when I brought the subject up after the kids went to bed the other night, which is just weird.
Alex is a little girl.  She's smart, but she doesn't go there from what I see.  Just the other day she asked me if I would like to join her I.H.J.B Club.  Yup, that stands for I hate Justin Beiber.  Sorry, Justin.  My kid just ain't buyin' it, and according to her, she has no idea why Selena Gomez would want to date him.  She's super cool in our house.  It's not that she's unaware of boys; I spy secret crushes, but this conversation changes the game.  Ick.
All the literature says you have to have this talk between the ages of 8-10, and especially with our family history, I feel backed into a corner.
Moms out there, how have you done this?  What worked?  I want to hear all about it.
I strive to make this a positive, God-centered talk about how she was created and how beautiful she is and this is, but it's not easy.  I'll take all the advice I can get.
Much love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers