Monday, April 4, 2011

YA Quotes Part III: A Hodgepodge

So, here goes.  I'm going to wrap this up with a few more of my favorite authors...  Enjoy!

"It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love." 
-Jellicoe Road  by Melina Marchetta


"From this distance everything is so bloody perfect." 
-Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


"Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best." 
-Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta


"Comfort zones are overrated. They make you lazy." 
-Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta


"These people have history and I crave history. I crave someone knowing me so well that they can tell what I'm thinking."
-Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


“Because any hope beyond that, my boy, would be too much. I feared we would drown in it.”
Then I choose to drown,” Finnikin said. “In hope. Rather than float into nothing."
-Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta


It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart." 
-Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


"Stupid people are dangerous." 
-Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


"But the truth doesn't need to be known, or believed, to be true." 
-Deadline by Chris Crutcher

"If you're good at it, and you love it, and it helps you navigate the river of the world, then it can't be wrong." 
-The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


"Life is a constant struggle between being an individual and being a member of the community." 
-The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


"Do you understand how amazing it is to hear that from an adult? Do you know how amazing it is to hear that from anybody? It's one of the simplest sentences in the world, just four words, but they're the four hugest words in the world when they're put together.

You can do it." 

-The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


"I draw because words are too unpredictable.
I draw because words are too limited.
If you speak and write in English, or Spanish, or Chinese, or any other language, then only a certain percentage of human beings will get your meaning.
But when you draw a picture everybody can understand it.
If I draw a cartoon of a flower, then every man, woman, and child in the world can look at it and say, "That's a flower." 


-The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

"Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are." 
-I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

"The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you." 
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

"Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of." 
-I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." 
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

"Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness." 
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

"Usually we walk around constantly believing ourselves. "I'm okay" we say. "I'm alright". But sometimes the truth arrives on you and you can't get it off. That's when you realize that sometimes it isn't even an answer--it's a question. Even now, I wonder how much of my life is convinced." 
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

"Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day. "
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



Profound, profound, profound.  No, young adult literature isn't just vampire novels.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers